Well, that took long enough eh? The opening season line-up for the Royal Opera House Muscat was launched a couple of days ago and I must admit that some of the acts are pretty impressive. The building from the outside is looking pretty impressive, everyone who has seen the inside seems to have nothing negative to say about it… so fingers crossed those behind the scene manage to pull the season off without a hitch. The tickets don’t even seem to be that badly priced (Starting from RO17 for concessions and tickets are non-refunadable), but if the social networking sites and online forums are to be believed, it seems that tickets are being snapped up fast so if you are interested in buying some, be sure to get them quick.
Here is the list of shows and dates:
- Opera Turandot: October 14 & 15
- Gala Concert - Plácido Domingo Sings To Oman: October 18
- Renée Fleming & Royal Philharmonic Orchestra: October 21
- American Ballet Theatre presents Don Quixote: October 26, 27 & 28
- Andrea Bocelli in Concert Tenor Debut at Royal Opera House Muscat: November 1
- London Philharmonic Orchestra & World-Renowned Cellist Yo-Yo Ma: November 5
- Teatro Alla Scala Ballet Company presents Giselle: November 10, 11 & 12
- Umm Kulthum: The Legacy by Riham Abdul Hakim: November 17
- The World Of Magida El Roumi featuring Magida El Roumi: November 23
- Universal Ballet Of Korea In “Shim Chung – The Blindman’s Daughter”: November 28
- Jazz At Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis: November 30
- Opera Carmen by George Bizet: November 17, 19 & 21
- Swan Lake by The Mariinsky Ballet: December 27, 28, 29 & 30
- New Year’s Eve Gala Performance By The Mariinsky Ballet: December 31
As pointed out on Muscat Mutterings here, the site was claiming you can buy tickets online then doesn’t go through with the transaction, but that seems to have changed today. Currently you have to buy tickets in person at the Box Office, Grand Hyatt or InterContinental. One word – fail.
I must admit there does seem to be a lot of ballet – 12 shows out of 24 shows, which unfortunately isn’t my thing, but I guess someone at the opera house must be a big fan. I don’t know about the rest of you but I am planning on going to see Carmen with the girls, Um Kulthum tribute with B and Andrea Bocelli with anyone I can drag along! Just a pity I won’t be sipping a nice glass of wine in the interval… ah well, swings and roundabout I guess!
Do any of you plan to attend? If so, what are you thinking of seeing?